Thursday, October 29, 2009

San Francisco

I have been here long enough - its time to talk San Francisco, and I have been slack exploring the city and not blogging.

I arrived yesterday to the cutest little hotel on POst, just up from Union Square, and whilst cosy, is great for location and there is so much happening round the city.

My first day was all about Foleys Irish Bar, the Yankees and the Phillys in game 1 of the World Series. After a bit of exploring, I stumbled upon this Irish Bar mid afternoon, and after a few beverages, got to know a Aindres (Andrish) the fabulous guy behind the bar. He looked after me well, and I ended up back at the hotel with a few more beers and a heavy heart after the Yankees got done in game 1 of the World Series. Now there is game 2 which has been and gone and the Yankees got up - 1 all and 5 more to go.

Today saw me up and down on cable cars to Fishermans Wharf, Van Ness, Nob Hill and Russian Hill. The ride on the cable car was amazing, as was the way they change direction at Market and Powell - once the car arrives, they spin the trolley around on a wheel like thing, and then it locks into the right tracks - all very not technical but hell it was great to watch.

I had to be the tool that stood on the side of the car instead of being inside - kinda like standing outside a Melbourne tram, whilst it is in full traffic and breathing in very heavily to avoid being hit. It was awesome and a little scary at the same time.

Fisherman's Wharf is mega touriste, but at the same time, totally awesome. Looking at the sea lions lounging about on the pontoons at Pier 39 - literally hundreds of them - reminded me of folk at the beach. The restaurants and all of the souveneir stores are a bit OTT, but Boudin's Sourdough Cafe and Bakery was awesome.

I have so many phtos of Alcatraz, including one with my head in front of the island, taklen by some goop without his glasses on - this is something that I should have known before he took the photo but there you go.

Tomorrow, I am heading to hire a bike and ride across the Golden Gate bridge - thats gonna be awesome and probably kill me at the same time. If you dont hear from me again, please scatter my ashes as per my request.

I dined at a restaurant tonight that was supposed to be hot, and it was crap. I spent a bit of money for ordinary food and shit service. I was mega disappointed and will not read any more stupid reviews.

There will be more to come from this beautiful city....... stand by

No comments:

Post a Comment