Saturday, October 24, 2009

Another night on the hustings......

West Hollywood , I have discovered, is just up the road - quite literally just up the road and I got the chance to dine there this evening... but more of that in a minute.

The whole country is obsessed with Halloween next weekend, and until I got here, I was not quite aware that it was all happening. There are pumpkins everywhere and every building is draped internally in fake spiderwebs... it really is funny that they are all out shopping for costumes and things...

But to tonight - Chateau Marmont is totally hip and cool and there are frequent celeb sightings around this venue. I was dining with vet to the celebs, Patrick Mahaney and his partner Phil. 2 terrific guys that my friend Charyn hooked me up with. A nice bottle of Napa merlot from 2005, and I had a brilliant burger. It was thick and cooked medium rare, with the salad you insert yourself, and of course, the obligatory cheese melted through it with hand cut fries. I did manage to pinch some of Patricks Halibut with haricot verte which were nice as well. I find it interesting that we ordered cheese as an appetiser rather than after the meal and I was tempted by Banana cream pie - but had to pass and I was just too full. Flatbread with pork and fennel sausage was the third meal and quite palatable....

Chateau Marmont is hot right now and tomorrow night I reckon I could wander down the road to the celeb sighting mexican cantina that is on Sunset - only one way to find out and I reckon I could find some interesting tidbits.

Tomorrow night is the last night in LA before I hed to Santa Barbara to meet my mate, and then on to Frisco. I have decided to take the Amtrak to SB - supposed to be a nice train ride. (Fire sirens and police sirens happening in sunset at the minute are freaking me out a bit). I reckon I might see some nice coastline.

Tomorrow looks like the day I head to the beach - Malibu/Venice not sure where but now that I can manage the bus, I thihnk I could give it a fair shove. Wish me luck.

I also thought of hiking into the hills and seeing the Hollywood sign up close but I think I could give that a miss and also head back downtown for some nice buildings etc to photograph. Or I can wander along Santa Moica Blvd and check out other fabulous stuff.

Stay tuned to see how I wake up in the morning and decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment