Sunday, February 7, 2010

Red Bennies

Hmmm I love a new bar as much as the next person, so much so that I try to attend as many as I can, often at the detriment of my innards.

I was at Red Bennies in South Yarra for a pre open event. It was fine but there were teething problems - no eftpos, only one white and one red available, and some rather uncomfortable garden furniture.... but it was a pre open and it was fun.

Perchance I was back again late last week, and this place has a lot to learn. The venue opens at 7pm and my birthday celebrating friend arrived with members of her family at the alotted time - some of whom had travelled from Perth to join her. The sound check was happening, people playing trumpets through to 8pm when most of the guests had arrived... and the noise was a bit annoying. Soundcheck before opening time will usually keep the punters happy please.

The venue needs to determine if it is a performance space or if it is a bar - never the twain shall meet here! Performance artists need an audience and I am suprised that the owners of Red Bennies need to be informed of this. They themselves are of the performing ilk....

Asher Treleaven, one of the funniest guys in Melbourne was at the mic as MC - the sound was appalling, the local idiots looking for a new venue in which to be seen and get smashed were in by the drove, and performers could not be heard. Thankfully one of the best performances was visual and to be honest, a man hanging from a couple of ropes in not much more than a blessing and some old fishnets will always manage to capture my attention above any hubbub..... but again, the lack of attention paid was astounding.

The issue is the door policy, and again, I maintain that if you are going to be a performance space, be mindful of what trash is allowed in the door. The smoking section, which I am a fan of, was so full one could not move, and the interior was full of aforementioned cashed up bogans trying to be cool.

I will wait the obligatory 2-3 months before I venture back, particularly knowing that there will be another venue for the cashed up, ed hardy wearing, marlboro smoking, beer drinking suburbanites to move on to where they can carouse with similar individuals in a new habitat, where they can be seen and smashed with aplomb.

Red Bennies - you have so much potential - please dont let me down. Melbourne needs you but she doesnt need another venue who is not sure of what it wants to be, thus allowing itself to be persuaded by the masses. Performace spaces that are cool, hip and serving good wine are too few. Strike three, you are out!

1 comment:

  1. I was supposed to get along on Friday night but decided to stay home instead - sounds like I didn't miss much!

    ReplyDelete